Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fiestas de Salamanca


Since my last post, so much has been going on. I got a bit homesick and felt out of place for the first time. It's hard to adjust to a city, even one as beautiful as Salamanca, that you'll be living in for four months. It felt like I didn't belong, but slowly I started to realize I was more at home than I could have imagined. If it weren't for the internet and the support from everybody, I don't think this experience would be so amazing. The fiestas have officially started and the casetas are at full force, serving various "pincho de ferias" (a beer or wine and a signature tapa). It's the perfect after dinner snack because the night last so much longer here. Every time I've come in before 3am, Milagros makes a funny comment about how I haven't adjusted to the student nightlife just yet. Monday night was the exception to the rule, keeping me out to see the sun rise. Beautiful, but only because I was able to sleep all day.
Monday night started with a firework show from Italy. If you've ever seen a 4th of July show, I can guarantee this one was better. The last minute and a half would have blown any US firework show out of the water. The view and the pyrotechnics combined created one of the most beautiful shows I've ever had the privilege of watching (for free, mind you).
Next was the concert, which started promptly at 11pm. The main and only act of the night was Pitingo, a Spaniard who has become famous performing famous American songs with a flamenco twist. My favorite was "Killing Me Softly", a song made famous in my day by the Fugees. He also sang remixes of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "Turn the Beat Around". Pitingo is an energetic performer, very stylish, and a perfect representation of the Spanish music industry. After bouncing around the concert with various groups of people, I met up with my main friends and we headed to a few bars.
I haven't met many Spaniards since arriving in Salamanca, which will likely change once classes start. However, at Cafe Puccini we met four Spaniards all studying at the University of Salamanca. We all chatted for an hour or two before heading to a club to dance. When the night came to a close, it was already 5am. The same night would have only kept me out until about 2:30am, but since Spaniards like to start the night so late, it's only right that we don't go home until the sun comes up.
The rest of the week has been much more low key, although starting Thursday it will start all over again. I'm excited to see how the next few days turn out, seeing as I have nothing planned thus far.

Until next time folks,

Adam

p.s. I found the rana, although I had a bit of unwanted help from a postcard. I still think I'll be ok ;)

1 comment:

  1. Pitingo sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I could have heard Killing Me Softly with a Flamenco twist. Hey, do the students still to get churros y chocolate after the discos close at 5a? That's what the norm was in my day, but my day is now ancient times. 8)

    I'm sure you'll get homesick once in a while; you'd be a robot if not. But it is nice to be connected to your other lives, isn't it?

    -yb

    ReplyDelete